Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Same-sex marriage becomes reality

Of course RP and I are thrilled that Massachusetts now issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples. What's amazing to me is that large protests like the one that took place here in Phoenix don't seem to be all that common--at least I didn't see stories on such things in any of the major-city newspaper web sites I looked at. (Granted that I didn't look in places like Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, or Bakersfield.)

And this story from CBS News provides some interesting statistics:
A Gallup Poll taken in early May shows the public backing of an amendment is decreasing while the support for same-sex marriage is increasing. The nationwide poll found that 55 percent oppose same-sex marriage (down from 65 percent in December) and 42 percent favor gay marriage (up from 31 percent in December).

Opposition to same-sex marriage went down ten percentage points and support went up by eleven, and in only six months? That doesn't even seem possible. Wow. I might get optimistic about my chance to marry the person I want to in some state that I live in if this keeps up.

May all of those marriages, and all marriages everywhere, be happy and long.

No comments: