Monday, January 03, 2005

Eavesdropping report

Ron and I are confirmed restaurant eavesdroppers. So last night we were out with my mom (Dad's back is bothering him) and we overheard a couple behind us talking to their college-age children about the state of the world.

I swear I'm not making this up: the father was holding forth about how the whole rest of the world had gone metric and that even the English had abandoned feet and pounds; and this in turn relates to world government and the European Union and the erosion of national sovereignty and how the aim of the evil foreigners is for the US to abandon the dollar.

Then the mother chimed in that 99% of college professors are liberals and it's best just to not listen to them, kids. Also that since in this country liberals are actually allowed to vote, sooner or later there will be a liberal president and that's going to be the beginning of the end.

Then, thank goodness, their conversation turned to more mundane things, and we finished our dinner. I did notice that the kids had their own views and weren't taking their parents entirely seriously, which I thought was a good thing.

No comments: