Monday, September 18, 2006

On designing logos

At Creative Guy , Jim Dempsey posts a number of Rules of logo design. I've been bitten in the butt every single time I've ever violated the first: "Do NOT show a client any logo design that you don't really love."

Now one downside of working for a large agency, as I did for many years, is that work that would normally be under your control is occasionally assigned to others for one reason or another, usually for deadline reasons.

As a particular example, I once had a logo project where the client was being excessively picky about the typeface. I submitted many samples, avoiding one typeface I particularly dislike for practical and aesthetic reasons.

I was at a photo shoot one day, and another art director was assigned to fill in for me. He picked that particular typeface, and naturally the client loved it. So I had to live with it for as long as we had the client.

[Via Logopalooza .]

No comments: